John Blust is a firm believer in sound, common-sense, constitutionally conservative principles, and he has the courage to consistently stand up for them.
John Blust grew up in Guilford County and attended public schools where he learned the values of faith, family, freedom, individual responsibility, hard work, and initiative. He graduated from Western Guilford High School, where he was inducted into the Beta Club for academic achievement and earned All-Conference honors in football as a senior.
- B.S., Business Administration/Accounting from UNC-Chapel Hill – 1979.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law – 1982.
- Completed Army ROTC at NC State University while attending college in Chapel Hill.
- Passed both the CPA and the Bar examinations.
John enlisted in the United States Army the day after turning 18 in 1972. He served for two years and then returned in 1982 to serve for three more years as an officer after college.
- Class leader of Officer Basic Class in Field Artillery at the United States Army Field Artillery School at Fort Sill Oklahoma.
- Earned airborne wings at United States Army Airborne School.
- Volunteered for duty in the 2nd Infantry Division along the Demilitarized Zone in the Republic of Korea – then considered the toughest duty assignment for new artillery officers.
- Assigned to a nuclear-capable field artillery battalion: Trusted with, and trained to employ tactical nuclear weapons. Served for 18 months in the 82nd Airborne Division, “America’s Guard of Honor.”
Professional Work Experience
John has practiced law and accounting in the areas of taxation, estate planning, commercial and business law, restructurings and bankruptcy. He has assisted numerous clients with tax problems, wills, trusts, estates, planning financial affairs to reduce taxes, protect assets, and work out financial problems, or to start or expand businesses. He has a first-hand understanding of how the private sector, not the government, can create jobs and opportunities.
- County Chairman of the Republican Party in Guilford County, 1993-1995.
- Won a seat in the state Senate in 1996 by 111 votes out of more than 52,000 cast.
- In the year 2000, recruited by the House Republican caucus to run as a true conservative in a primary against an establishment candidate.
- Served since 2001 in the North Carolina House.
- Since Republicans captured the majority in 2010, has served as co-chair of a Judiciary Committee. Every single bill assigned to this committee, which a Republican sponsor desired to have heard, was given a hearing.
- Assisted other Republican teammates in passing their legislation. Judiciary II has a reputation as a well-run, eminently fair committee.
- So far, sixteen bills which have been a primary sponsor have become law since Republicans took a majority.
John Blust has a stellar reputation for challenging the status quo on both sides, often standing up to leadership in his own party, and courageously doing the right thing for his constituents.
Faith and Family
- Saved by grace at Ambassador Camp at Lake Waccamaw at age 7.
- Hobbies – Reading and working out. 2nd-degree black belt in tae kwon do.
- Married to wife Maria and blessed with one daughter, Barbara, age 6.